1. As far as possible, avoid storing steak in the freezer.
2. Buy fresh steak on the day you would want to grill it.
3. If you do store it, ensure you defrost it completely before you start grilling a steak as it should come down to room temperature.
4. Depending on the thickness of the steak, the time required for defrosting will vary.
5. The grill should be preheated before the steak is placed on to cook.
On a Gas Grill
– The thickness of the steak should be 1 to 1½ inches.
– Make a line into the steak at a distance of an inch. This will ensure that the steak is flat when you are grilling it. At the same time, it will also ensure that meat is cooked well.
– Start the grill and let it heat up for 20 to 25 minutes. This is an important trick when you are using a gas grill.
– If you did trim the fat off, use it to rub on the grill bars. Be careful during this step as the grill will be very hot at this point.
– Rub your favorite marinade on the steak and place it on the hottest part of the grill.
– The time for grilling will depend on how much you want the meat to be cooked.
– When you remove steak from grill, keep it aside for about 5 to 7 minutes so that juices work their way through entire steak.
On a Charcoal Grill
– After the steak comes down to room temperature, submerge the steak into your favorite marinade for a few hours.
– Place charcoal in a single layer in the grill. Light the charcoal and let it burn till they turn ash gray in color.
– Using a brush, grease the grill so that the steak does not stick to it.
– Place the steak on the grill and let it cook properly on one side. Then, flip it over.
– Depending on the thickness of the steak, you may have to cook the steak at least 4 to 5 minutes on each side.
– After it is done, let it rest for 5 minutes before you serve it.
If you do not have a gas grill or a charcoal grill, then you may want to try cooking steak in the oven. According to some people, broiling steak is better than grilling it. It is up to you to decide which is the best method according to you. If you are not comfortable of using the time method, then you can also make use of meat thermometer to know whether the steak is grilled to perfection. Remember, practice makes perfect. Therefore, you will have your own trial and error moments before you become perfect at it.